"No place on Earth was safe. Four billion years ago, during the Hadean eon, our Solar System was a dangerous shooting gallery of large and dangerous rocks and ice chunks."
(The gif below shows impacts over time: “Spatial distribution and sizes of craters formed on the early Earth. Each circle indicates the final estimated crater size; color coding indicates time of impact. Credit: Simone Marchi/SwRI.”)
alanis: Clouds and shadows on Mars, photographed by Mars Express, 24th May 2012.
Between 28 and 36°S, 284°E, on the arc of highlands that surround the southeast Solis Planum. The crater split between the 2nd and 3rd images is Voeykov, about 75 km across, named for climatologist and geographer Alexander Ivanovich Voeykov (1842-1916). The small, deep crater toward bottom left of the 4th image is Los, named for a village of about 400 people in Gävleborg County, Sweden.
Composite of 3 visible light images for colour, and 5 monochrome images for animation. Colour is not balanced naturalistically, and the slightly psychedelic colours of the clouds are a result of mismatches between the images where the clouds have moved between exposures.
Image credit: ESA. Composite: AgeOfDestruction.
Tech Review’s annual science fiction issue, edited by Bruce Sterling, featuring William Gibson
The summer annual features stories “inspired by the real-life breakthroughs covered in the pages of MIT Technology Review,” including “Petard,” my story about hacktivism; and “Death Cookie/Easy Ice,” an excerpt from William Gibson’s forthcoming (and stone brilliant) futuristic novel The Peripheral.
I am so fucking on this.
Holy fuck I need this RIGHT NOW.
What the hell did I just watch?
It’s me pretending to be a video game character what is wrong with you it’s pretty straight-forward
Wow this is really accurate right down to the breathing.
I’ve never hit reblog so fast in my life.
- Early Feminists: Oh hey, we see that you can vote. We would like to vote also. I mean, since most of those laws effect us too and all.
- Men: YOU JUST WANT SUPERIORITY OVER MEN!
- Mid-century Feminists: Hey, that whole thing about how you can have careers and earn a living wage outside the home? Yes that sounds nice, we'd like the option to do that as well.
- Men: YOU WANT A MATRIARCHY, THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT!
- Late 20th century Feminists: Hey we would like to make our own choices about our reproductive health, just like you've always had.
- Men: YOU ARE TRYING TO TAKE MEN'S RIGHTS AWAY!
- Modern-day feminists: Hey, if you could you stop sexually assaulting/harassing us and them blaming us for it, that'd be pretty great.
- Men: THIS IS MISANDRY, MISANDRY I SAY! FEMINISTS HAVE GONE TOO FAR!
- Feminists: Um...
- Men: THE END OF MEN IS NIGH! MALE OPPRESSION IS REAL! THE MATRIARCHAL AGE IS UPON US!
I think we need to think critically about why we keep placing the responsibility for preventing sexual assault on young women.